Wednesday, November 4, 2009

I'LL DRAW YOUR DRESS: drawmydress.com

Last weekend I had to check my laptop in to the mac store (gasp) so I was left to fend for myself without this aluminum appendage to my brain. I thought it would be terrifying. It really wasn't that bad. I found out about a dress design competition for Modest dresses at Shabby Apple, and decided to see if I could still draw.

I haven't drawn for years. I used to love to design and draw - residue I think of the fact that our parents made us draw if we were bored, and so I grew up having to make my own dolls out of paper. I have been drawing dresses since I was a wee little thing.

I set aside drawing when I got to college - because I thought to go into dress design would be to increase the vanity in the world. I pursued another major, and sort of forgot how to draw; and I forgot that I loved it.

With the competition, I had the chance to see if I could still draw. IT WAS SO FUN. It's like I went back home. It seems so dumb to spend a lot of time drawing dresses, but alas - it is so fun to me.

I realize a lot of girls carry around ideas in their heads for dresses; almost every girl I know. So maybe I could use this talent of mine for good, instead of vanity. I decided that in my spare time I am going to set up a website (drawmydress.com) where girls can give me a description of their dress and I'll draw it for them. Why not!? It's so fun to me and would be so good for them to have a creative outlet. I feel good knowing I'm giving other girls more resources to pursue their thoughts and creations.

So that's it. I haven't uploaded anything but I am now officially drawing dresses. And it's free! If you want you can start now by sending me your dress and I'll draw it and send it back to you. Once I get the site up, I'll post your dress w/ your name (w/ email address if you want anyone to be able to email you saying your dress is cool or asking if they can use the design) and a link to whatever site you would like to link it to. So everyone can see your talent and your idea and give you credit. People will start using this site as a reference for what ideas are out there so yours will be a part of it. If you have a dress idea that you've been carrying around, afraid you'll forget it, go ahead and send it now and I'll let it be one of the first on the site when it's up.

Once a month viewers will vote on the best dress and I'll get that dress made for you. We'll make a lot of them, and keep an archive/catalog, so girls can order your dress, and they'll have the option to let you know their email address in case you want to follow up on how they like it. You make 10% of the profit of the dress.

But for me the important part is you get to see it and you don't have to carry it in your head anymore.

:)

Send dress ideas to drawmydress@gmail.com or upload a description as a comment in response to this post.

xoLoralee

____

The following are dresses that I drew up for this competition. Go to Shabby Apple to vote on my dresses if you want to help me out. :) That would be awesome. Or leave comments, suggestions, etc. Great, thanks!

2 comments:

dan said...

This is AMAZING! My girls love this. This Helps me out.

Cammie Smith said...

what an awesome idea! You're a genius...